View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I agree that they should have blown their whistles, but even if they didn't, the ball is still dead by rule. Just because they didn't stop B1 from dribbling it down court doesn't make the ball live again.

The officials recognized it immediately thereafter - there was no interim play.

Because it was immediate, I maintain that the best way to handle it is to disallow B1's "goal" and proceed with A1's 2nd free throw. I can easily justify that by rule as previously cited.

"Coach, A1 was awarded two free throws. By rule the ball was dead when the first was missed and you can't score a goal when the ball is dead so B1's rebound and goal doesn't count. We're proceeding with A1's 2nd free throw."
Tim,

You have effectively taken 2-10-5 and 6 out of the Correctable error rule. Read the case play Bob cited.

Here's what the conversation should be---Both coaches together--"Coaches we screwed up and allowed the ball to remain in play when A1 should have gotten another free throw. The error was discovered in time to correct it. By rule all time that ran off clock, points scored before we stopped play are not nullified. Clock stays where it is at now and B's basket counts. We will shoot A1s other FT with no one on lane and then we will put the ball in play at the point of interruption (where we stopped the game when we realized there was a problem.) That will be a throw in for team A on the end line. That's what the rules require.

Again, sorry for the screw up."