View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

When is cheating not cheating vs when is cheating unsportsmanlike?

I know we've discussed this here before but I can't seem to find the thread.

We know that it is an accepted strategy that teams commit fouls late in games, knowing the penalty will be free throws but in an attempt to regain possession. Coaches train it, officials officiate it. Rules are being purposefully violated, but it is an accepted tactic and we move on.

Now lets move to my Saturday. In the stands (fan only this season). Late in game under 10 seconds. A1 is at the line down 4. Makes the first. Coach yells out something that is apparently code for we're going to miss it and go for the boards. He's yelling out and making gestures that ressemble make a cookies, while trying to get confirmation from his shooter. A1 nods at the coach and his teamates start talking and getting ready. Coach for team B says something to B2 who nods.

As A1 takes a high arcing rainbow, B2 steps in early before the shot is released. Shot is missed as everyone crashes after ball, whistle blows violation shoot again. This slapstick act happens 3 times, before official walks over and gets into a brief heated exchange with Coach B, then comes back finger wagging at B1. B1 looks at coach who barks something at him.

A1 goes for the intentional miss (no violation by b2 this time) but B gets rebound gets, fouled. B ices it at the line.

If A1 is missing on purpose and B2 is violating on purpose to negate the miss . . . when does this dance end. Is it up to us to end it? Do we have means to end it? I mean we could offer an unsporting T to one team for not playing within the spirit of the rules but which team do you go after? How would you handle this in your particular Romes.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!