View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Sorry, I don't have my case book on me, but where does it specify the difference and that he's not allowed to pull up to avoid injury? Hanging and pulling up sound like terms that have different meanings to different people. In your case, pulling up sounds like the player has body control and he intentionally pulled the rim down further for reasons other than safety.

When his momentum is taking him forward that fast, he has to put tension on the rim to get him back to a safe position. In my case, I call that pulling up. If he puts a little too much on it, his body goes up. If I think he's doing it to avoid injury vs. showboating, I'm ok with it.
In my heyday when I got up there now and again, the only way I did what happened in the video was when I pulled myself up and drove my feet up. Otherwise the worst that happens is you dunk, and sway about 30-45 degrees maybe. But parallel to the floor is deliberate. This is from experience, playing, coaching and officiating. He wasn't going THAT fast that his momentum carried him that high. If his momentum was that fast you have a better chance of him being pulled off the rim and hitting the deck hard.

That was showboating. "Hey look at me, I just sole the ball, and got a fast break dunk so let me put a little extra on it."

This is the type of behavior that as a group officials do a real crappy job of addressing. Especially when coaches, the FED, assignors, instructors, EVERYONE harps that we need to curtail poor sportsmanship.