Thread: What a night
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I think the point Adam is trying to make that is brought up in 10.4.4.B is the idea of "similar multiple infractions occuring at the same time." That's why I say if all 4 ASSistants are booing the same call at the same time, then I'll throw a single bench technical. But if they're all whining about different things at the same time, I'll whack them each individually and let the coach have an early shower.
Understood, and I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not real clear. Personally I don't believe in piling on unnecessarily and a single indirect to the HC would be OK, but is that supported by rule?

10-4-4 specifically applies only to when standing at the team bench is permitted, while 10-4-1 addresses unsporting conduct. Casebook 10.4.1.A specifically says: "In addition to charging a technical to the individuals in all cases, the technical foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach......."

So if all they do is stand, then 10.4.4.B would apply and you go with a single bench technical and indirect to the HC, though even that might be questionable per 10-4-1-e, but I wouldn't go there.

But if they gesture, comment or commit any other unsporting act listed in 10.4.1, then 10.4.1.A would apply, they all get T's, and arguably the HC could be charged with an indirect for each, but the rule/case doesn't specifically address multiple similar unsportsmanlike acts committed at the same time.

There are supporting arguments both ways, i.e penalties under 10-4-5 when team members leave the bench during a fight, but if they don't participate they all get flagrants but the HC only gets one indirect. Then again, under 10.4.1 if 3 players dunk in warmups, the HC gets 3 indirects and is gone.

Can we justify charging each ASSistant with a T for acts committed at the same time? Absolutely per 10.4.1.A. But can we charge only one resulting indirect to the HC as a result? Probably, but it's not real clear.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Tue Feb 02, 2016 at 12:13am.