View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Goaltending ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Zackman is saying the cylinder is relevant--that if the ball is not yet in it, it can be legally touched.
And I say that said ball can't be legally touched in a high school game.

A1 shoots layup. Ball is on the way up and then it bounces off the backboard. It's still on it's way up and reaches it's apex and then gravity causes it to start on it's way down, toward the basket. The ball is now on it's way down, toward the basket, but still outside the cylinder, above the ring, when B1 contacts the ball, and blocks the shot.

My ruling: Goaltending.

NFHS: Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

My interpretation is most certainly contrary to zackman's post: It is not always goaltending when a shot is touched while on the way down – If a layup (or bank shot) is one it’s way down, it can still be legally blocked provided the ball is not yet above the cylinder.

Of course, my interpretation may be different per rule sets other than NFHS (NCAA, NBA, FIBA).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 04:31pm.