Thread: Thanks Jay
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The defender in question switched to cover Jones and was on the RA when contact took place. The only issue is no one was guarding Jones before the defender switched so I don't know whether under the NCAAM code he's considered secondary.
I looked at the video last night (on WatchESPN - can't find anything on espn.com) and wondered the same thing - Arkansas was playing their press/zone and Jones sort of got lost in it. Though to me, that means he beat his primary defender since the defender near the basket switched off another player to look to take a charge.

There's a case play similar to a player not being guarded in a zone:

A.R. 97. Team B is in a zone defense. A1, who is located on the perimeter of Team B’s zone, passes the ball to A2. A1 then cuts behind B1, who is the defender at the top of the zone, and receives a pass from A2 while just outside the restricted area. After receiving the pass, A1 then crashes into the torso of defender B2 who has established initial guarding position inside the restricted area. The Lead official calls a blocking foul on B2.

RULING: The official is correct. B2 is a secondary defender because A1 is deemed to have beaten B1 when he cut behind B1 on the perimeter of the zone defense. As a secondary defender, B2 may not establish an initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing a player control/charging foul when defending a player who is in control of the ball or has released the ball on a pass or try.

I also think the L missed that one. There was another charge with 1:00 to go on Caruso that ESPN writers, broadcasters ("I think that his feet were moving"), and Bilas were complaining about. I thought the refs got it right on that one.

As an aside - just want to say thanks JetMetFan for doing all your video posts. I really appreciate how you label each one, and then slow it down for the call. Can I ask what you use to capture and edit the video?