Thread: Knee pain
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Good stuff. What is proper icing procedure? I do need to start it right after game I'm sure. As with us all I would assume, some sites are 45 min from home and all are at least 15. Need to ice before that for sure. But other than 20 min on, 20 min off, what does one need to do to properly ice. I did some 20/20 tonight and knee feels pretty good right now.
I've been experiencing some knee pain recently and my ATC brother gave me some stretches to do before the game, focusing on the quad and other muscles around the knee. Don't forget the calf! He also recommends a dynamic routine as others have mentioned.

If you're dealing with patellar tendinitis like me, he advised taking a bit of pre-wrap, wrapping it around your calf a few times (tight, but not too tight), then rolling it up and setting it just below your knee cap.

Afterwards, ice. He's suggested taking a gatorade cup and filling it with water, about an inch from the top. Freeze it, and then after your game tear away the top of the cup and rub down your knee with the ice.

I've combined all of it and my knee is feeling better.