View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 12:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If someone calls a foul or violation in my primary I do one of two things-- I thank them or when we get to the locker room, I will ask them what they saw and tell them what I saw. From there it's over.
If this response had a "Like" button I would click on it.
Plus, crew review of the video will confirm the validity of the out-of-primary whistle.
Aren't these expressions of support for the occasional "going out of primary" nothing more than an acknowledgement of the validity of the principles of "Secondary Coverage Area"?
Case in point from this past Saturday night -- verified as a great "come and get it" whistle from out of primary: Competitive matchup in the lane for which both Lead and Center were straightlined. Having pregamed this, the Trail who had an unobstructed view of the slot between players comes in with the needed call. And yes it was needed and both L and C appreciated it, given they each would have had nothing but a guess.
Monty McCutchen speaks of the 90/10 rule (my words for it). 90% of the time, we trust that our partner has a good look at what goes on there in his primary and is able to take care of business there and we don't really need to trump his call or no-call. But maybe about 10% of the time for whatever reason (straightlined, brain fart, distractions in PCA, etc.) a partner can be there with a late whistle to help out when a call is missed. And that's ok. Maybe he proportions aren't just right, but the principle seems sound.
This, of course, is waaaaaaaay different than that kind of hideous ballwatching that leads to unjustified whistles where they just plain don't belong.
Nice thread.