View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

It has been my understanding that the process of the award is to (first) award the obstructed runner the base that runner would have reached, and (then) all other runners affected. This mindset more correctly represents the likely outcome of your posted play had there not been obstruction, as following runners clearly could not have safely passed an unobstructed preceding runner.

The part of the rule allowing the obstructed runner to "push" a preceding runner was added to the rule and (then) POE to more fully enable the process of deciding what base award should apply at the time of the obstruction, and to NOT let subsequent play change that award. If the preceding runner stumbled, or returned to touch a missed base; well that is as much a part of subsequent play unrelated to the original obstruction and intended award as the outfielder missing the cutoff, or the cutoff bobbling the throw, or the cutoff making an errant throw which results in the obstructed runner overrunning the award.

A little wordy, I guess, but hope it makes the point clearer (as related to me by HP ~20 years ago).