View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 07:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
You're right. My mistake. It's pretty clear that there is a LOT of responsibility to be parceled out to various parties in this incident - players, coaches, parents, administrators - but the one group we should NOT question or suspect was part of the problem are the game officials.

It is obvious that they did a fine job in applying the rules of the game in a fair manner to achieve a successful conclusion. #jobwelldone
Hell, I hadn't even read the article. Your statement that "99% of problems occur in a basketball game from the officials NOT blowing the whistle enough" is pure hyperbole, even if it was true in this game.

Of course, BNR asks a good question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Who said the officials weren't blowing their whistles?
And Altor provides a great answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Why did you ignore the rest of the quote?

"It was a physical game, a lot of fouls were called," Cox said. "I think our contest officials did everything in their power to keep that game under control. The coaches did as well."
I don't see anything there that can reasonably give you, or anyone, the impression that the officials were not calling enough fouls.

Of course, if you walk in with a preconceive bias against the game officials, you could certainly get that impression if you ignore 75% of the quote you cling to.

If your first instinct is to blame the officials in spite of the evidence, you're going to get some negative responses from a group of officials.