View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 07:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I like Rich's advice and I've used this myself at the sub-varsity level where the coaches probably aren't as experienced:

"Coach, your assistant is about to get a technical foul. That is going to cost YOU your coach's box." Provides a reminder of the incentive to keep his assistant's in line. That's probably not needed at the varsity level.

That isn't the type of comment to avoid. What you need to avoid are the ultimatums. "One more word and you're getting a T!" There's nothing wrong with being direct with a coach about how close he or his assistants are getting.

I also agree with BNR, I don't like to tell coach's how to handle their team.
I've come to use the more direct approach, the same general approach I use when a player is getting close to the edge.
"Coach, I'm giving you the chance to deal with xxxx, but he's about to cost you if his comments don't stop."

I've tried "coach I need you to control your bench," but some coaches just don't get it. Being clever is fun, but people don't always catch on when you're clever or subtle.

It's amazing what happens when you talk to them like adults and let them know the expectations.