View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
From my limited experience I can tell you when there is a "blarge" call to address that the majority results when the lead is "coming out strong" and "selling" his call. Having the outside official (C or T) hold for a bit when they blow their whistle avoids the conflicting calls. If that means we are "letting the lead have 1st crack" so be it. I would rather do that than have a blarge.
I think you may be misunderstanding what is being stressed here. I've never heard the bolded part suggested in any of the different areas/levels I've worked. And I think what is being stressed is avoiding blarges once air is put into whistles rather than who has first crack at calling the play.

As others have said, its pretty common practice to pre-game that the outside officials should take plays that originate in their primary all the way to the basket and get first crack at contact involving the primary defender. The Lead usually has the best look at a secondary defender so outside officials should generally give the L first crack on those, especially if they are strong side.

In terms of avoided blarges we say that for double whistles on block/charge plays the outside officials should try to hold off on the preliminary since the L is more likely, for whatever reason, to come out with a prelim. This is different than saying the L should have first crack at plays coming to the basket and is hopefully avoided more when you follow the protocol above of letting the T and C take plays to the basket.