View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 01:12pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
If I'm going to make a call like this, I'm going to first make sure I absolutely have to.

I mean, if there's a loophole in the rules that allows me to avoid having to make such a call, I'm going to use it. Strictly speaking, it may not be right, but I want to stay within the spirit of the game.

For example, in a game earlier this season, my partner allowed the wrong team to inbound the ball. Right after the inbounder threw the ball in I blew my whistle to correct the call.

Now, yes... I should have seen the error right away and corrected it. And yes, once the ball is inbounded it's too late. However, like I told my partners at the time, I "recognized the error before the ball was released by the inbounder and simply didn't hit my whistle soon enough" (note the quotation marks).

It was a stupid error by us officials, and if I could help it I wanted to avoid that mistake giving either team an unfair advantage.
Interesting philosophy. I hope it serves you well. Luckily for the officials on the game in the OP, they didn't need to employ this tactic, all they needed was some rules knowledge to realize a technical foul wasn't warranted in their situation because the celebration did not interfere with the other teams ability to start the next play/inbound the ball.