View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Fashion rules have been totally unenforced in the JV tournaments I've watched over the past several weeks. (White under dark; black under white; variety of colors on the same team . . . I only know these rules from lurking here, but I'm pretty sure every single fashion rule has been violated in the current tournament -- except headbands, perhaps.)

And the suspicious part of me wonders if it was coincidence that one team's best player was wearing long sleeved black shirt under his red uniform to make him easier to identify . . .

But I really don't think it is fair to blame coaches, whether they've heard of the rule or not. If the refs are too darned lazy to enforce it (or, perhaps for tournaments, been told not to), why should the coaches spend any time worrying about it?
In my area, and I am told in many others, the fashion rules are not strictly enforced for sub-varsity. For that matter, during non-district varsity games (particularly early in the season) they get a "warning" and the rules is explained so they understand when the rule in enforced later in the year. It's just the way the "powers that be" want them handled here.

When it comes to the box, if it is not marked on the floor we are told to let the association president and assignor know after the game so they can address it with the school. Of course, that is probably because in virtually every case it is strongly suggested that as long as the coaches are only communicating with their team to allow leeway when it comes to the box. If a coach starts becoming a problem that is when we are to enforce the box. Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I had a problem with a coach straying very far (read more than a couple of feet) from the box in any high school game.