View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 28, 2015, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
When is a pick and roll an illegal screen and when is it a great offensive play?

I am looking to some vets who have seen this enough they can help me with the difference and then I can tell the coach why the call/no call.

Thanks in advance!
It can be a tough call. Proper pick and roll is a pick by A1. A2 dribbles right past A1's shoulder. Defender of A2 will either run into the screen, go under or trail A2 over the top. Once A2 dribbles past the pick, A1 is supposed to roll. I will see what A1 does with the roll. Usually, the dribbler's defender is already under, stopped by screen or going over top. If he hasnt made it under i will watch the roll and see if A1 went looking for A2's defender and if he doesnt go looking for him then i will see what kind of contact there is...it is a "have to see it" play for me.

I actually view the screener who rolls before the dribbler goes past him with a closer eye. That's not what a screen/pick and roll is...If he rolls early and takes out the dribbler's man im more apt to call the illegal screen. In my experience, if the screener holds the pick, there wont be significant contact when he rolls. you still have to watch it obviously.