View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 02:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
I know this was shown to be wrong in another post, and I know the OP ultimately confirmed that the ball had been released on the try when the contact by B2 occurred, but I think it's important to directly quote Hartsy as incorrect. If A1 has begun the habitual motion and the defense commits a foul before the ball is released, A1 still gets continuous motion. Continuous motion, though applied to a foul on the shooter 99% of the time, does not have to result solely from a foul on the shooter. Any defender who commits a foul (including a technical foul) can activate the provision of continuous motion. This is a basic concept and it's disappointing to see it articulated incorrectly in this forum.

I read here a lot and talk rules with other officials quite a bit. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing that continuous motion applies as you describe. Looks like I have some research to do. Anyone else care to chime in? Thankfully, as you say, this is a very rare event.
Not much research is needed, just look up the definition of continuous motion.

4-11 ART. 1

Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.