View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
If whistle is before the ball is out of shooters hand, shot does not count. A2 goes to the line and shoots "1 and 1". If whistle is as ball is in flight, count the basket and A2 shoots "1 and 1". I'm not sure about the meaning of "after the try ends, or before the try ends" in relation to the question.
I know this was shown to be wrong in another post, and I know the OP ultimately confirmed that the ball had been released on the try when the contact by B2 occurred, but I think it's important to directly quote Hartsy as incorrect. If A1 has begun the habitual motion and the defense commits a foul before the ball is released, A1 still gets continuous motion. Continuous motion, though applied to a foul on the shooter 99% of the time, does not have to result solely from a foul on the shooter. Any defender who commits a foul (including a technical foul) can activate the provision of continuous motion. This is a basic concept and it's disappointing to see it articulated incorrectly in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
2. If contact occurs after the ball goes in it should be ignored or T as ball is dead until at disposal.
Agree. And if you blew a whistle for a common foul here, get together as a crew, confirm it was a common foul and that it should have been ignored, and then explain the inadvertent whistle to the coaches and move on. No big deal if this happens every once in a blue moon. Just don't make a habit of calling fouls after the ball has gone through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In any case once a shooter begins his shooting motion the shot attempt will stand unless the shooter commits a charge.
Or unless a teammate of the shooter commits a foul before the try is released!