View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 04:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Technically there is no rule basis to award a "replacement" free throw in this situation. Game activity occurring before the officials are notified of the disqualification should all stand unless it is a CE, which this is not. That said, the horn sounding during the throwing motion is not part and parcel to a free throw attempt. I could see awarding another shot in this situation because of that but I think you're stretching the rules a bit. Now if the shot is missed without a horn during the throwing motion, I think you have to let the shot stand.

From 2-11-5:

Quote:
ART. 5

The scorer shall: Record the personal and technical fouls reported on each player and notify an official immediately when the fifth foul (personal and technical) is charged to any player, the second technical foul is charged to any team *member, bench personnel, or directly to the head coach, or the third technical foul is charged to the head coach.

NOTES: The procedure if a player who has committed his/her fifth foul *continues to play because the scorer has failed to notify the official is as follows: As soon as the scorer discovers the irregularity, the game horn should be sounded after, or as soon as, the ball is in control of the offending team or is dead. The disqualified player must be removed immediately. Any points which may have been scored while such *player was illegally in the game are counted. If other aspects of the error are correctable, the procedure to be followed is**** included among the duties of the officials.
Thinking a little more about this, if she is still in her motion when the horn sounds, it is probably a good idea to blow the play dead and figure out what the table needs.