View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
You're basically asking a three year old to act like an adult. This is in no way meant to be offensive, but I just think of them as TypicalIdiotFans and my life is much easier. Without fans, sports wouldn't be what they are and the games wouldn't be fun, at least for me. They are a major part of the event, whether you like it or not. Treating fans like they should know everything is just as ignorant as the fan screaming, "over the back!!"

I've changed basketball in my area for fans by treating them like human beings who don't have a clue what's going on behind the mind of an official. I can't put a price on how rewarding it is to have fans actually understanding the game instead of telling them to shut up because they're throwing a temper tantrum. What else can they do? They have a three year old mentality when it comes to the rules of the game and have no idea how to act. Answer a few questions here and there and it has a chain reaction.
I went to a game to watch a friend the other day and ask they started chirping at my friend I jumped in and explained how breaking the plane was not a T just a delay of game. Soon we are talking about daughters, rules, clarifications, etc. They enjoyed I was there to help the officials and learned a ton from me. And that I pointed out things these young guys could do to get better.

I agree with Dad. It is better to have a little fun and conversation. Possible growth and understanding then to just rip into them and yell at them. I think fans are frustrated they dont know how to understand things better and love a referee who will talk to them and then you have a new friend on your side helping others in the crowd enjoy the game and learn from it.