View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
Thanks for your response, Dad. You at least provide some insight that is helpful.

Regarding the block/forearm can you elaborate, please? Are you referring to what happens at approx. 7 seconds into the clip?

Is a defensive player not allowed to place their arm like that? I know it is a foul if she extends the arm and pushes on the offensive player, but if it is purely defensive I thought this was ok. When I look at that portion of the clip I see the offensive player pushing #4's arm and not the other way around. I'd like to know if this is indeed a foul in this situation committed by #4?
An extended arm bar is now an automatic foul on a ball handler.

A couple years ago they changed the rule from officials making the judgement on defense inhibiting the offense with hands/forearm to making it automatic.

Now an automatic foul:
1) Prolonged one hand on ball handler
2) Two hands on ball handler
3) Forearm on ball handler.
4) Lastly, which can be confusing, is the defender can hot stove touch the offense, but a second touch with either hand is an automatic foul. This doesn't mean you can touch for a second no matter what. Still a judgement call if the hot stove touch gives the defense an advantage.