View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rolling under the play.

"Rolling under" is just another term for "opening low." I always do this. You get a great angle between the players on a potential drive, and all you have to do is follow it in while the L is covering the secondary defenders.

I respectfully disagree with Camron about moving up toward the division line. How many times does something of consequence happen up there as compared to the semi circle and below? Why would I want to take myself in the opposite direction from where the basketball is going? Why would I want to observe plays from farther away? And as for getting beat going the other way....an acceptable risk considering there are ways (the button hook, for example) to get good temporary angles while you're transitioning to new lead. And not every transition is a fast break; getting beat is an unfounded fear 85% of the time.

In summary, I love the OHSAA effort to move toward "rolling under." Watched the Marquette/AZ St. game this evening and saw all of the officials doing it. I think JD is advocating it. Three officials in your TV picture will be more common this year and that's why.

On another note, I have NOT seen consensus yet on how to stand as the lead (parallel, modified, or 45). Three camps, three different emphases. Guess ya just gotta do it the way your assigner wants. Wish we could get a more universal opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk