Thread: Backcourt count
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 05:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlancaster View Post
Here's a question that came up at our association meeting recently.
We had an IAABO rules guru, one of the best, bring this up....

Team A has the ball in their front court. The ball is deflected by team B and rolls into A's backcourt.... And rolls a while before A picks it up. Team A runs back and retrieves the ball near the free throw line. When does the 10 second count for backcourt violation start? When team A gathers the ball or when the ball first touches the backcourt?

It was said the count starts as soon as the ball touches the backcourt because Team A still has team control of a ball inbounds, in their backcourt after the deflection. I have never seen anyone count in this situation.....until A picks up the ball. If they did it may help with the understanding that any foul by team A while the ball is rolling in the B/C is a team control foul. I normally would not start the count until the player from team A has control. I may have always been wrong..... I see nothing in the rules to support or deny this.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Crosscountry:

That is an excellent question. I will ask one of my friends that are still officiating college basketball.

MTD, Sr.

A former student of mine (he became an OhioHSAA basketball official when he took and passed my basketball officiating class many many years ago) and is now a Men's Div. I official told me that in the case of the OP the T is to use the Shot Clock for the new 10-Second Count.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio