View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
There is not logical rationale for this rule change.

Baseball and softball at all levels (high school, college, and professional) has always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely, it is a basketball thing) has stated that a team's on-deck circle is on its dugout side of the field. And while there is no requirement that an on-deck batter use the on-deck circle, if the on-deck batter chooses to use it the on-deck batter must use his or her team's on-deck circle.

The reasoning for an on-deck batter to use his or her teams' on-deck circle is three-fold: i) The on-deck batter is under close supervision of his or her teams's coaches; ii) The on-deck batter is away from the opposing team's dugout thus reducing the chances of taunting by either side; and iii) The PU knows exactly where the on-deck batter is at all times.

The "safety" excuse is a non-starter. An on-deck batter can be hit by a foul ball no matter which on-deck circle is used. Coaches need to teach their players to pay attention to the game and what is happening on the diamond at all times.

I am climbing down off my soapbox now because it is basketball season, .

MTD, Sr.
First, I am ambivalent about the MN rule. I think any logical person would see that the ODB is less likely to get hit when behind the batter, but also any logical person would see that the ODB can still get hit anyway, so it does not remove the need to pay attention. I think even the MN powers that be that decided to use this rule even in high school would admit such. But, they are of the mind set that reducing the probability of an injury is a good thing. I have pointed out many times that if a coach (or a player) does not feel the OD circle is in a safe place, they are not required to put the ODB out there.

Much too much is made of the interfering with signals and/or taunting/jawing and the like. MN has been using this rule for a number of years now and blocking signals has happened in my games exactly once, and was easily dealt with. Taunting has happened never.

But, my main point was this is not a big deal for umpires.