Thread: The right calls
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I had a MS "playoff" game last Wed. evening. Home is up 30-12 when visitors score with :26 on the clock. On the try A doesn't score and the wings flag IF. I signal the foul and declined and get ready to split off for the kickoff when the LJ comes in to tell me that B coach wants to accept the penalty.

"What the #@$% does he want to do that for?"
"He wants the kids to get another play."
"This is when a kid will break his #@$+% leg or blow his #@$% knee out."
But you could make the latter statement before they 1st step onto the field, or play any down. You might as well say football should never be played.

Were the teams playing for stakes, & primarily for the stakes? If not, then the important thing to keep in mind is this is play, not work. No matter what the score is, playing is playing. I could understand the complaint if one team were slaughtering the other so bad physically (not just technically) at most positions that the entire game in retrospect was more danger than it was worth, should never have been played to begin with, and should be ended ASAP. But otherwise, if the game is practically decided score-wise, the fact that they keep playing means that they enjoy it. Why spoil their fun?

Do you ever officiate scrimmages? Why should you? They risk injury & don't even keep score. Replaying a try down in a situation where the teams are no longer paying att'n to the score is just like a down in a scrimmage.