View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 25, 2015, 04:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Infallible ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That should be standard procedure no matter what type of assignment system is being used.
Not according to Camron Rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
3) actually getting officials to confirm their assignments with the schools 3-4 days before the game (this comes up at EVERY meeting).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We don't do #3 at all. It really isn't necessary. Before the season, the schools confirm the accuracy of the games as entered in Reftown, much like officials accepting assignments. A few days before the game, the schools get automated reminders of upcoming games. If something has changed, it is up to them to notify the assignor of the change. If they don't and the officials show up anyway, the school still pays for the game and the officials still get paid. Out of thousands of games per year, it is extremely rare that an official shows up to a game that isn't there. More likely, the schools forgot to notify the assignor that a game was added.
Back, in the twentieth century, when assigning was done with land line phone calls, and the United States Postal Service, we occasionally had too many officials, or no officials, showing up at games that may, or may not, have been properly scheduled. Back then, in the olden days, it was imperative that officials confirmed games by the United States Postal Service, or by land line phone calls, to prevent mistakes.

Now that we've moved to computerized assigning, and email contacts, there is a far less likely chance for a mistake to be made, but sometimes human error will rear it's ugly head, and that's why it's important that officials still confirm their games.

I spend about fifteen minutes, every Sunday, sending emails to confirm games with athletic directors, and partners, for games coming up that week. I feel that it's time well spent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 25, 2015 at 04:17pm.