Thread: Tough One
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Now, if I am the R1 and my R2 requests the card be given, I will call my R2 over to the stand and we will make sure we both understand the reason the card was given.
Why? If your partner requests a card, aren't you going to honor that request and let your partner explain to the coach why they earned the card? You just said if they request it you're giving the card. So why the conference about it? Give it and let the R2 deal with the coach.

Quote:
If I give a coach a card as an R1, I will call my R2 over so my R2 understands why the card was given as well. That is strong official-official communication.
Also unnecessary. Call the captain over and say, "Your coach is receiving a warning for unsporting conduct." and let the captain explain to the coach, assuming the coach doesn't understand the reason for the card (which is rare). Your partner can also hear the captain explain it, and then the R2 would know the reason for the card. No need for a powwow here.

Quote:
Situation: Team A hits a middle attack that appears to sail long. Team A is up saying there was a touch. At first neither line judge (both freshman players from Team A's school) signals a touch. Finally after about 5 seconds the LJ on Team A's side signals touch.
...and that's where we're done. You don't have a call right away? Now we go with what I saw. You come up with the touch late? As if I'm taking an indecisive call that late. The line judges are there to give information, but ultimately, all decisions rest with the R1. If you don't feel comfortable with the input, there's no obligation to take or consider it.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee