Thread: No Lanyard
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 12:44pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I use totally different mechanics even during HS games just during the summer (laid back environment). Peace
This is a different topic, but one worth commenting on, as we've discussed before...
I can appreciate your personal ability to turn off the laid back, casual mechanics of those summer games when those off-season games end. That, however, is not typical. Problem is, most other officials are unable to do what you claim to be able to do. The non-approved things -- the shortcuts and the lazy habits -- they adopt and develop in the off-season become engrained, and those are the "sequence of video control buttons" they retain. They, unlike you, can't turn those habits off when comes the time for the high school season.
Which is why I discourage unapproved mechanics in the off season. Frankly, for some, it's better than the don't even do off-season games for that very reason.
I like Monty McCutcheon's quote regarding good habits : "Refereeing is about creating good habits so that we can depend on them at the biggest moments. And if we don't have them in our non-conference, preseason schedule, then we don't have them when we get Kentucky/Alabama for the SEC championship. We have to create good habits..."
If you can do it, which I do not doubt, more power to you. Problem is, few others can.
I still like your illustration. And will continue to use it.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 15, 2015 at 12:55pm.