View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 13, 2015, 02:05pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
How about this for rare. Don't have my book in front of me, but a live ball (not a try) that enters the basket from behind the three-point line. Counts as two points. Never thought I'd see it, and then sure enough a Duke player a couple of seasons ago trying to save a ball from going out of bounds in the corner flipped one right through his opponent's basket. Damn the bad luck. The crew was right on top of it and made sure the score was a 2 and not a 3. No one in the entire place knew that rule except the officials.
The bolded and underlined statement above is incorrect if we are going by NCAA-M rules. The play in the referenced game only counted as two points because it is stated in the rulebook that any field goal scored in an opponents basket counts as two points, regardless of where the player's location on the playing court when the ball was released. It has nothing to do with whether or not the shot was a try or not.

Additionally, when an offensive player throws a pass into their own basket from beyond the 3 point line, 3 points are awarded. It does not need to be a shot attempt to get 3 points. There is a specific case play that covers this situation.