View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Here's the actual wording:

The 10-second count shall be reset on all stoppages of the game clock except when the defense causes the ball to be out of bounds, the offense retains the possession after a held ball, or there is a technical foul assessed against the offensive team�

The wording of the rule says the reason for the clock stoppage controls (rightly or wrongly).
1. If the clock stoppage was from defense knocking ball out then the wording of the rule says don't reset the clock. The rule doesn't say offense can buy a new count with the timeout. I think they should be able to but that isn't what it says. Apparently, they will have to throw the ball in and then call the timeout to get a new count…if needed.

2. Double foul isn't listed so reset the count. Double tech isn't listed so also reset the count. In both of those situations the defense is also doing something wrong so reset the count. (i realize in a double tech situation a technical foul is being "assessed against the offensive team" as mentioned in the rule but i think the double situation changes it. If they wanted double techs to prevent a reset of the clock they would have included double fouls.)

This is what i get from reading the rule--they may change/clarify/interp. They may have just overlooked situations.
From my clinics so far, the consensus has been that the offense can buy back a 10-second count with a dead ball time-out. Art Hyland should have put case plays in for this new rule.