View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

back row

PHP Code:
Situation 2JV gamedefinite talent discrepancy between the 2 teamsI'm R1. The significantly better team (for lack of a better description) likes to use quick attacks, where the setter will set the ball and almost immediately an attacker is spiking it. So, in this situation, the setter came from the back row. In this particular instance, for whatever reason, she decided to jump set, and clearly set the ball while it was completely above the net. As soon as the hitter hit the ball over the net on the next hit, I had a back row attack. Coach was very upset, insisting this could not be a back row attack because the setter is not the one that put the ball over the net, but rather one of her teammates did on the next hit. I disagreed, and the coach ended up getting a yellow card from me. A few points later, my partner gave her a red for continuing to argue the call. She eventually quieted down and stayed in the match, but had a few choice words for us after the match. No big deal, but now I'm second guessing myselfDid I make the right call on the back row attackMy partner thought I didbut helike myselfwas unsure of the rule
If the back row setter sets the ball in the front zone when the ball is entirely above the height of the net, two situations are faults. First if the ball is set into the plane of the net and is legally contacted by a blocker or is completely sent over the net, the setter is called with an illegal back row attack. Second, if the ball is blocked into the back row setter in the front zone while any part of her body is higher than the net, the fault is back row block.

In the situation you described, the play was legal, and the coach was correct.