View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Agree, but when, " The coach moves from the box to the field bringing his appeal to the WH" he crossed more than 1 line, and has earned a flag.
Doesn't this beg us to debate the issue of what a coach is supposed to do if the wing won't acknowledge a legitimate issue.

Building on Rich's point, one of the best referee's I ever worked as wing for told me that I basically needed to have worked out the situation and process in my head to be able to handle it on the sideline so that if I did come to him with a coach conference request, there wasn't any question about what was going on. He said I needed to know the situation and needed to be able to quickly explain to the coach the consequences of asking for a conference (call a timeout and lose it if wrong or DOG penalty if he was out of timeouts). At the end of the day he said if the coach understands a conference to complain is pointless, then he preferred I err on the side of giving the coach a conference.

ps: I agree with you that the coach shouldn't just have free reign to go across the field to talk with the referee, but really what is a coach supposed to do?

Last edited by BoomerSooner; Tue Sep 15, 2015 at 10:56am. Reason: added the ps