Thread: 100% sure.
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

"always said to honor the appeal in this situation"

That is not an issue in my question. Even though I've already called it, I will always honor the appeal.

"Not only do you do this as a courtesy to the players, but also as an attempt to ensure that the call is the right call"

The players don't want the right call, they want the call reversed in their favor.

"However, if my partner over-rules, as you put it, my call,"

This is the only situation where a partner overtly over-rules your call. In all other situations where there may be an issue with a call or rules application, you and your partner get together and discuss it in private. You end with a consensus ruling which, though it may over-rule the prior ruling, tells everbody you got it right. But the "did she swing" appeal simply changes the call - it doesn't make it right.

" We simple saw two different things from two different angles"

This is my point! The BU's view is different, but different does not mean right. From the bases I've seen a partial swing that PU called a strike and (in my mind) I say "you gotta be kidding!" And from the plate I know she didn't swing and the BU changes it to a strike. Due to the public nature of this appeal, the BU makes the call - right or wrong.

My position is that if I am not sure, then I will accept whatever the BU calls. But if I made the call, and I believe that it is right, then I don't want the BU over-ruling me. I think we need a pre-game agreement, or some sort of appeal signals that says "you make the call," or "I've got it, don't over-rule me."

WMB