Thread: Hey Chuck...
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
3-4 feet seems close to me, but I can live with it.
Do they teach opening up for rebounds?
3-4 feet doesn't seem all that "deep" to me either. But once I was reminded that the basket stanchion (Juulie please forgive the spelling ) is probably only 4 feet off the court, it makes more sense. Those NBA guys (and gal, V Palmer is here at camp!) stand nearly on the endline when they're in their normal Lead position.

As far as rebounds go, they haven't mentioned it. But in the pro game, the Lead is responsible for the lane area below the FT circle, and extending all the way to the near sideline. So I imagine that on a long rebound to the Lead's side, they would want you to open up to the endline. I'll ask during a break tomorrow. Good question!

My performance today was much better than last night. I felt a little more at ease today with my partners. We certainly had more faith in each other today. Only two games today. First game we were observed by J.B. Caldwell (SEC guy). The game went smoothly, for the most part. He really scrutinized our play selectivity. "Could he have finished that play if you'd let it go?" "If you'd held your whistle for half a second, could he have made a lay-up instead of shooting 1-and-1?" He had some good comments about my jump ball administration, and he had some great comments about crew dynamics, the Referee's responsibilities, and things like that. The story about that is long and not very interesting, but the bottom line was that the Referee needs to show some leadership in the crew and help the crew stay out of trouble when possible. (As you can guess, since he commented on my jump ball administration, I was the R in question!) Then he gave us two specific plays to review on the tape, told us to give him our thoughts on them later, and he left. He was not pulling punches, but they were delivered in a very positive way.

We had an interesting situation at the end of the half. Shot, foul, buzzer ending the period clearly after the whistle. We cleared the lane, shot 2 FTs and ended the half. J.B. asked if we even considered putting time back on the clock. Partner 1 says "no". Partner 2 says something about the clock stopping in the last two minutes of the half. I say, "No, b/c we have a second of lag time. So since the horn was less than a second after the whistle, we don't put any time back on." J.B. disagreed. He said you need to get together and decide how much time was left at the time of the whistle. I know that's not true for HS rules, which is what we're playing at this boys' AAU tournament. But I can't remember if it's true at the NCAA level. I was woefully unprepared for camp and didn't bring my rulebooks. Anybody care to pull out the NCAA book and find me an AR on the subject?

Second game was even better for us as a crew. Probably b/c I wasn't the R for that one We were observed by Tony Brown. Good guy. The game was close for a half, but one team had too much of a height advantage. Eventually turned into a 20-point game. I got some good suggestions for my mechanics (which have been made to me before, but it's hard to break old habits). Comments to me were about presentation and presence in this game, rather than calls. Well, except for one Doggone it. But we were told that we worked the best officiated game of the day at that site, which made me feel great after last night.

(As an aside, Theeeee Red Sox win!! Theeeeeeeeeeeee Red Sox win!)

Anyway, I gotta hit the sack b/c tomorrow is an early meeting for some reason. Somebody help me out with the NCAA lag time question!! Thanks.