View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 02:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
If the ball is in the air, however, the status of the feet can come into play in NCAA as a player can reach over the goal line and prevent a touchback if the ball has not yet touched the ground in the end zone.
The feet are irrelevant in NCAA as well. A ball batted backwards by Team A over the endzone is considered illegal touching in the endzone. It wouldn't be a touchback and the ball would still be live but Team B would snap the ball at the B-20.

Conversely, a Team A player could be standing in the endzone and bat the ball at the B-1 back towards his goal line and the illegal touching would where the ball was touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post

The only thing I'm missing is whether in NCAA a player reaching over the goal line from the end zone and touching ball in the air (bouncing or in flight) creates a touchback because the ball is immediately considered to be in the end zone. I couldn't find the rule reference to support that, but my understanding was that in NCAA, a ball on the ground is considered to be at that location but a ball bouncing or in the air is considered to be at the location of the player when he touches it (or where he was last touching the ground if he is airborne when touching the ball).
You're thinking of a player being out of bounds and touching the ball. That doesn't apply in the endzone. The ball actually has to strike the ground, untouched by Team B, in the endzone for it to be a touchback.