Thread: home plate
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Yeah, you're right. Actually I don't think I've ever called a 10U game. I was just trying to imagine how large I would have to make it.
Why change it at all? I've called several 10U games. True... some of the games are walkathons, but not many. I think I've extended the zone for one game that got really out of hand vertically, but I keep the zone the same horizontally. As mick said, the level of play in tournaments is greater. I don't necessarily agree that a "hittable" pitch should be called a strike, even though some blues may call it one. If a batter has the skill to determine whether a pitch is a ball or strike, I give the benefit to the batter. As for the original topic, it is a shame that a tournament cannot find a suitable facility for their competitions. It is a far greater shame that the umpire handled the coach in such a way and couldn't carry a $3 plate brush with him. Are they $3? I don't have the merchandise catalog with me.

Just my opinions.