Thread: The Main Thing?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
In a utopian world, these would be perfect statements. In reality, at least where I work, they are just worthless sentiments. There are more games than there are competent officials, especially on Friday nights. A good percentage of officials care about getting better and doing things the right way. Unfortunately, there is also a high percentage of officials that do not care and will not get better no matter how much training is available to them, but they will still get games because there isn't another competent official to take their place. Assignors and associations are stuck with these guys and they know it. Conferences and leagues can switch assignors if they like. They might see some new guys or a different mix of guys, but it is inevitable they are going to still get guys that don't belong on a game. Making training a priority is a fruitless endeavor. It takes a lot of work by a select few, with very little tangible benefit for the group as a whole. In fact, the whole idea of having associations seems pointless. In my experience, I get more out of the interactions I have with the select group of officials, that have goals and aspirations similar to mine, than I ever have participating in any of the associations I have belonged to.
I would disagree with this statement primarily, only because there are associations that are doing a better job in our area than others to train official. And there is a reason in basketball and even football where the State Final officials are coming from in our area of Northern Illinois. So training has worked with many associations. Are there still people working that you could make a case are not top notch? Sure, but that is always going to be the case in high school sports. But that still does not mean you cannot do things to help train your officials in your association. I know I belong to both Football and Basketball Associations that raised the level of training and it has helped many officials get to another level either in high school and college. And in each of those associations, you have people that will never do the work or "get it" not matter how much you teach and train. All you can do is put it in front of them and go from there.

Peace