Thread: LeBron Travel
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I simply answered the question posed. I'm interested to hear if anyone would pass on this in a college or high school game. I think AremRed implied he would pass....

I also said that I don't work the NBA... I don't know the NBA travel rule and have no need to know it.

Note, too, that I have never been one to comment on the microscopic travels frequently posted here. I don't go looking for travels and probably call fewer than most all posters here. I can guarantee I miss more travels than calling travels that aren't there. But I'm also fairly certain I would call this one.
What some of us are saying is look for elephants, not ants. As I mentioned earlier, the play in question is very close under the NBA code. If it's that close err on the side of letting it go. We'd say the same thing if he took one fewer step and this was an NF or NCAA game. If it's that close you'd better be sure when it's a real speed since you only have one chance to get it right.

I know I've missed travels in similar situations in NF and NCAA games but I also know why: If someone is unguarded and 50 feet from the basket I'm assuming they can dribble the ball without tripping over themselves. I'll glance up court to see if there are any match-ups that need watching. The few times I've missed a "mini-travel" for that reason I've admitted as much to the affected coach. They may not have been thrilled but they also know I was still engaged in the game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)