View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 04, 2015, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I have stepped away from umpiring to coaching

Since I am a very active football official I read and know the rules as well as I hope my football coaches would.

Tonight I ran into the "hands are part of the bat" umpire.

From my coaching box I couldn't tell if it was bat knob or hands and when PU said foul ball I assumed it was knob. My batter acted like it was hands and so I came to check on her and umpire said, "the ball hit her fingers" I then came all the way to PU and stood side by side facing the infield and said, "you know that the hands are not a part of the bat, right?" He assured me the hands are an extension of the bat and I encouraged him to ask his partner, who then agreed with him that the hands are a part of the bat. I returned to my box during their very brief conference and let the game continue.

After the game PU has to leave through our dugout and I'm packing up gear and PU comes up to me and tells me how much he does not appreciate the way I disrespected him. At that time I apologized and encouraged him to look up the rule and I would do the same and next time we see each other we would know what needs to be done.

In this or a similar situation, how would you like the coach to approach you, or should he?
You should have just protested the game.

And you could have responded, "I don't appreciate the umpires who disrespect the game by not taking the time to learn the rules".