View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 10:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LSams
One of my favorite stories in a similar situation goes as follows:

Team A pressing, up something like 25-1 in the first quarter. Team B literally cannot get the ball past half-court, and having seen the team earlier in the season, I knew that it would only get worse. A-1 sets up in pretty good position to take a charge, right in front of Team A's bench. We have a craseh, I call a "game management" block.

Team A's coach says to me "didn't she have position?"

To which I replied "not in this game coach."

He responded with something like, "I gottcha" and pulled his team out of the press immediately for the rest of the game which he still won by 40+ points. It was nice to see some of that level of sportsmanship and understanding of what I was trying to do from a good coach.
But what are you gonna do if the coach questions you as to why you aren't following the rule book? You have just admitted to him that your call was wrong,by rule--which it certainly was.You happened to run into a reasonable coach in your particular case,but what if he hadn't have been so reasonable? If you have to subsequently T that coach up,or even have to toss him if he really keeps complaining,how are you gonna justify your actions later.You're also penalizing a defensive player who has done absolutely nothing wrong.

JMO,but I don't like to inject myself into these cases.I may call the borderline fouls closer against the better team,but I'm never gonna deliberately make a wrong call.I don't like penalizing players just 'cause their coach is a jerk.If I'm gonna tell someone how to coach their team,it's also tough not to give them the same opportunity to tell me how to referee their game-and I ain't ever gonna let them do that. Again,just my own personal opinion.