Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LSams
One of my favorite stories in a similar situation goes as follows:

Team A pressing, up something like 25-1 in the first quarter. Team B literally cannot get the ball past half-court, and having seen the team earlier in the season, I knew that it would only get worse. A-1 sets up in pretty good position to take a charge, right in front of Team A's bench. We have a craseh, I call a "game management" block.

Team A's coach says to me "didn't she have position?"

To which I replied "not in this game coach."

He responded with something like, "I gottcha" and pulled his team out of the press immediately for the rest of the game which he still won by 40+ points. It was nice to see some of that level of sportsmanship and understanding of what I was trying to do from a good coach.
It's not by the book, but hey, whatever works. The one comment I made that got a coach to pull a press, the comment was, "Coach, some people might consider leaving the press on with a 30 point lead, over-compensation." Don't worry, Howard, it wasn't a PBOA game). I don't think I'll ever ever say it again, but that once, it worked.
Remind me again why you would ask a coach - directly or indirectly - to take off a press during a blowout.