View Single Post
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, the Fed rule is worded rather curiously...

Note the underlined part. If the OP had not yet announced the sub to the opposing coach, and the fielder had not yet taken the field... well, was the substitution official? Apparently not.
Okay, I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the word "announce" included what the coach does to report a substitution to the plate umpire.

Playing Devil's Advocate, however: Don't we always say that what is written in the plate umpire's line-up card is official should there be a dispute between the scorebook and the card? So shouldn't that mean that a change is consummated when it's written down and verified by the coach making the change?

I don't necessarily buy the argument that a substitution is not official until the announcement is made to the opposing head coach. That sets different standards when the coach who initially made the substitution can change his/her mind. If the head coach is acting as third base coach, and he/she gives me a batting order change near the third-base dugout that is occupied by the opposing team, I can make that change official a lot quicker than I can make a change official if I have to walk over to the first-base dugout if that's the one belonging to the other team.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker