View Single Post
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily equate "loose cannon signaler" with one who doesn't use strictly NFHS mechanics. The real question is, how crisp are those signals and how well do they communicate?

If, as in your scenario, one guy uses Thor's Hammer and the other uses a good punch, I think Rich gives the nod to the puncher, provided said punch communicates and sells the call well.

There is, of course, a common sense limit. Joey Crawford communicates quite well, too, but I'm not sure that's the song and dance a HS assignor wants on his court. A little space for personal style = good. A wholesale personal repertoire = bad.
I agree with this. And it's hard to explain where the line gets drawn. Someone once explained it to me like this: If you look good giving a non-textbook mechanic, you'll probably be okay. But how do you know if you look good? The answer: nobody tells you to change.

I suggest starting out textbook. Once you've mastered the basics and understand the reason behind the mechanics, you can develop a slight personal flair when appropriate.