View Single Post
Old Thu May 07, 2015, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I agree with you that getting the calls right is the most important aspect of officiating basketball, not only to an assigner, but to everybody; athletic directors, coaches, players, parents, fans, partners, etc., but there are other things to consider, they're minor, but they still should be considered.

How about two officials, both equally get more correct calls than any other official that you assign, both are equal in all other aspects of officiating (game management, appearance, physical condition, availability, reliability, etc.), one executes all signals correctly (IAABO, NFHS, etc.), the other is a loose cannon signaler. Who gets the nod?
I wouldn't necessarily equate "loose cannon signaler" with one who doesn't use strictly NFHS mechanics. The real question is, how crisp are those signals and how well do they communicate?

If, as in your scenario, one guy uses Thor's Hammer and the other uses a good punch, I think Rich gives the nod to the puncher, provided said punch communicates and sells the call well.

There is, of course, a common sense limit. Joey Crawford communicates quite well, too, but I'm not sure that's the song and dance a HS assignor wants on his court. A little space for personal style = good. A wholesale personal repertoire = bad.