View Single Post
Old Thu May 07, 2015, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I agree with you that getting the calls right is the most important aspect of officiating basketball, not only to an assigner, but to everybody; athletic directors, coaches, players, parents, fans, partners, etc., but there are other things to consider, they're minor, but they still should be considered.

How about two officials, both equally get more correct calls than any other official that you assign, both are equal in all other aspects of officiating (game management, appearance, physical condition, availability, reliability, etc.), one executes all signals correctly (IAABO, NFHS, etc.), the other is a loose cannon signaler. Who gets the nod?
From my experience, especially at the high school level, if you're an excellent play caller, game manager, have a good athletic appearance, keep availability up to date, and are reliable, you will get games. PERIOD. If you're getting these things right you probably have good mechanics, too. They might not necessarily meet the strict definition of nfhs or iaabo but as long as they don't look silly, you'll be fine

I worked in a group that "required" the bird dog for all fouls. My focus was college so I didn't do this and most of my mechanics were more ncaa in nature. Nobody said a word to me because I was getting the other things right. You're never going to have a situation (especially at the high school level) where everything else is equal.

If you're goal is to work nfhs playoffs, use nfhs mechanics. But know your goals, and the expectations of the people that will help you achieve your goals. The rest will fill in if you're getting everything else right.