View Single Post
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Response in red and teal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
1, if you judged the ball was not on the fair side or over the top of the foul pole as the ball cleared the fence then it is a foul ball.The issue with this isn't what a fair or foul ball is, I know the definition of a fair or foul ball. I was wondering if any umpires had any tricks to be able to get a better view of this play. The ball was hit over a fence 210 away and it was well over a 15 foot foul pole. It was high enough that you could not see if it passed the pole before curving foul or if it was foul when it reached the pole.

2, the coach gave you a substitution, it was accepted, reported and the ball was put back into play. It is an official substitution and the coach has to live with it.Ok, now what if the coach wants #4 to be in and she came to bat, took a pitch, but #8 is the player of record. Is this considered an unreported substitution because she took a pitch. Has #8, the listed player in the game, actually come into the game, because #4, an unreported substitute came to bat where #8 was in the lineup. Basically does my card look like this:
21/8/4 or does it look like this 21/4?

3, the first thrown bat as long as it didnt interfere with the play is a team warning, second offense for anyone on the team is a restriction to the bench.

4, yes illegal pitch, ball on batter and advance base runners.

5, the defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. The advance of the base runner should have stood. Nothing in the rule book calls for a dead ball and returning the runner to the prior base. Based on your description of the play there should have been no call, but if the plate umpire was going to rule interference and a dead ball, the batter is already out, the runner closest to home would be called out. But again, this is not interferenceThis is what I thought. I would have ruled the batter out loudly and repeatedly if she had advanced toward first, and let the advance of R1 stand, but being the BU on the play, I had no say in the matter.