View Single Post
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Fair-Foul Question and other questions

Had another one of those strange double headers today. I'm the PU on most. HS JV with NFHS rules.

First play to discuss: R1 on 2nd, B2 hits a towering fly ball down the left field line. The ball clearly lands on the foul side of the pole, but was slicing in flight. What do other umpires do on a ball hit like this. I called it foul based on where it landed AND the projected path I had as it passed the foul pole. I am still not sure if I got it right though.

Second play: 1 out in the third innings. At the start of the half inning the OC comes out and tells me she has a substitution. #8 is going in for #21 in the 7 spot in the order. I write the substitution on my L.U. Card. and notify the home team of the change, then we begin the half inning. As the inning progresses, the #7 spot in the order comes up and #4 comes up to bat. I don't look for numbers unless something strange happens. After the first pitch, the home team coach yells out to the catcher, what number is she. "#4". That should be #8. OC coach now comes up and says she meant to say #4 in for #21, not #8. What is the proper procedure for this. I considered this an improper substitution, and make the change on my card and issue a warning to the OC.

Third play: B1 up, hits a ground ball to F4 who throws to F3 for the out. On the release of the bat, B1 lets the bat go in such a manner that it comes back striking me on the left wrist. I let play continue, then after the play go down to talk to the runner with the 1B coach standing nearby and explain she needs to control the bat after the swing and issue a warning to the team for "throwing the bat." Was this proper procedure? The coach did not see it as he was watching the bat. He assured me it wasn't intentional. I think my response was I know, had it been intentional she would not be in the lineup still.

Fourth play: Bases loaded, 1 out. The pitcher has the ball in her glove and goes to her mouth with the pitching hand, she then wipes the hand on her shirt, goes to her mouth again and immediately reaches her hand into her glove to pull the ball out before stepping on the plate. I call an immediate dead ball illegal pitch and award a ball to the batter and each runner advances 1 base. Is this correct?

Fifth play: I am the BU on this. R1 at first 2-2 count, 0 or 1 out, B2 swings and misses on a ball in the dirt. D3K situation. The PU clearly says strike three batters out. R1 takes off to 2b seeing B2 running to first. As F1 throws to 1b, PU yells dead ball and says the batter is out and puts R1 back on first base. I know this has been discussed before but what is the proper ruling under NFHS rules. I don't think this ruling is correct. We either should have nothing but an out on the batter for a D3K with 1st base occupied and a legal advance to 2b or interference by a retired batter/runner and as a result the runner closest to home is out. What is the proper ruling in HS for this play?

This was just one of those games with all sorts of strange things. WE had strange running decisions such as a runner from 3rd coming home on a walk to the batter with no one on 1st. Defense tried getting the out at the plate but overthrew the catcher from the pitchers plate. The first run of the game was bunt "home run". Bunt to F1 who overthrew F3 allowing the batter/runner to go to second. The throw to second ended up being airmailed and split the outfielders, allowing the batter-runner to come all the way around to score. We had other befuddling plays but also some great diving catches as well.

One other complaint. I wish there was a rule you had to have similar sized athletes. One team seemed to alternate their lineup between 5-10 plus and 5-1 or less batters. That changes the strike zone a lot between batters and lead to a lot of complaints. What is a strike on miss 6 foot is at the eyes of miss 4-8.

Last edited by chapmaja; Mon May 04, 2015 at 02:10pm. Reason: changed games to double heads so people could figure it out.