View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 25, 2015, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Nfhs courtesy runners are locked to the position they ran for for the duration of the game (if used as a sub at any time in the game obviously they can no longer be a cr). If the pitcher and catcher switch positions and had courtesy runners, the courtesy runners will now be running for different players but the same position.
I could see this potentially being used to a teams advantage.

Let's say there is a close game and in the bottom of the 6th inning pitcher A gets on base and CR-1 runs for her. In the top of the 7th, pitcher A is struggling so they decide to make a pitching change and the catcher and pitcher switch positions (yes a very annoying change in the middle of an inning). Now in the bottom of the inning, Pitcher B, who was the catcher gets on base and CR-1 runs for her. The team could in theory take substantial advantage of this by using the same CR for both positions.

I guess this is why there is a rule that states you can't make a change until that half inning. If there wasn't a rule like that teams could really take advantage of the CR rule. The coach could simply come out and say F1 and F2 are switching positions, then after the half inning switch them back.

I do think NFHS should require position changes to be notified to the umpires at least for the F1 and F2 positions. As I currently understand the rule, it is simply up to the umpire to remember who was last in the position (after the first half inning) for the purposes of the CR rule.