View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
1.Kill Terry
2. Fix as described...I think you handled it correctly...
No need for Andy to kill me. I was about as mortified as possible when Andy pointed out the force was gone. Not often am I stuck speechless, but I had little to say for a few seconds when I figured out what had happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Being as this was game 2 of our DH and happened in the first inning, Option #1 is out as I was not going to work the game solo.......

We did resume the game with one out and runners at second and third. We called both coaches out, explained that we screwed up and this is how we are going to fix it. There was a brief protest from the defense that the line drive was caught in flight and it should be a triple play, but we handled that.

At the post game, we discussed it further and also thought that a reasonable fix would have been to call the out on the BR and place runners at first and third.
I thought about this more on the drive home, and I think we got it right the way we did it. We didn't "gift" any bases or any outs to a team that did not earn them while the ball was in play. I feel much better about R1 at 3B and R2 at 2B with the BR called out that I do about putting R2 back on 1B where she started. R2 reached 2B safely while the play was live; I just straight-up made the wrong call and misapplied the rule. There was no tag attempt.

Our (my) mistake placed both teams in jeopardy, and that's when Andy killed it.

We also postgamed Steve's advice: be LOUD on the uncaught infield line drive so everyone in earshot of the park knows that the umpires did not rule the ball caught.