View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 10, 2015, 09:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The plural of anecdotes is not data. The majority of amateur ball in the US is played under OBR-based rules.

While H.S. baseball may not account for the majority of amatuer baseball played in the youth age level, I would bet dollars to donuts that for the vast majority of H.S. baseball umpires, the vast majority of the games that they umpire use NFHS rules. That said, this discussion about who umpires what under what rules set is not germane to the discussion at hand.

The author of the OP did not state what rules set under which the game was being played. My son and I answered per NFHS Baseball Rules. MLB/OBR rulings do not apply to NFHS Rules even if the rule in both rules sets are identical. As a rules interpreter in basketball (having officiated NFHS, NCAA, FIBA, and NAGWS rules sets, and familiar with NBA/WNBA Rules) I would not categorically apply one rules set ruling to another sets ruling; I may reference it only as background.

I have yet to see an actualy MLB/OBR rules citation with regard to the OP, nor have I seen and NCAA rules citation. I would be very happy to see rules citations from both NCAA and MLB/OBR so as to compare them with NFHS.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio