View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 07:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dugan View Post
I had this happen two days ago, and fortunately, it played itself out, but I'm wondering a what if:

R1 on 2nd, R2 on first, with two outs. Batter hits a ball a foot inside the bag fair down third base line. R1 cruising into 3rd is contacted by F5 who is just getting to his feet after a futile attempt to stop the ball going down the line. The bump causes R1 to miss third base, but he safely scores as the throw from the outfield is mishandled by the catcher allowing R2 to also score. The batter ends up on second. I am U2, and had called the obstruction but I let the play continue to conclusion.

There was no argument or appeal, so the play stood.

However, what would have been the correct call if the defense had appealed the missed base? Would I have awarded R1 home? Then held R2 at third and the batter at second? Or does the obstruction negate the missed bag totally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since the OBS *caused* the missed base, rule the runner safe on any appeal. The OBS did not affect any other runners, so leave them where they ended up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Always listen to Bob.

You can't punish a runner for missing a base because the defense made him miss it.

Now, if you have, say F3 obstructing the batter-runner near first base and the BR subsequently misses 2nd or 3rd base, then you could have BR called out on proper appeal.

MTD, Jr., and I beg to differ with the rulings in [COLOR="red"]red[/COLOR] per NFHS Rules.

Obstruction does not absolve a Runner from touching all of the Bases.

NFHS R8-S2-A1: An advancing runner shall touch first, second, third, and then home plate in order, including awarded bases.

NFHS R8-S2-A2: Any runner who misses a base while advancing may not return to touch it after a following runner has scored.

NFHS R8-S2-A5: If a runner who misses any base (including home plate) or leaves a base too early, desires to return to touch the base, he must do so immediately. If the ball becomes dead and the runner is on or beyond a succeeding base, he cannot return to the missed base and, therefore, is subject to being declared out upon proper and successful appeal.

NFHS R8-S3-A2: When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base, the umpire shall award the obstructed runner a minimum of one base beyond his position on base when the obstruction occurred. The umpire shall award the obstructed runner and each other runner(s) any additional bases that would nullify the obstruction.

[W]hat would have been the correct call if the defense had appealed the missed base?

The correct call is: R1 is out on appeal, R2 scores, and the Batter is on 2B. Yes, F5's obstruction hindered R1's running of the bases, but, by rule, R1 is still required to touch all of the bases per NFHS R8-S2-A1.

MTD, Sr., and MTD, Jr.

P.S. CORRECTED RULING: R1 is out on appeal for missing 3B; R2's run does not score because R1's baserunning infraction is the third out of the inning; and B5's at bat is a fielder's choice (if you are scoring at home, ).
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Apr 10, 2015 at 05:35pm. Reason: Added P.S. with a corrected ruling.